Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2000 01:52:24 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
Cc:        Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeVSD: Anyone working on porting this?

On Sun, 13 Aug 2000, Matthew Emmerton wrote:

> > The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:
> > >
> > >http://www.freevsd.org/
> >
> > Doesn't jail(8) achieve this?
>
> Here's me with egg on my face -- I've just ported the base package to
> FreeBSD.
>
> On the surface, it looks like jail(8) might just do what FreeVSD aims to
> provide.  However, since jail(8) is only in 4.x, and lots of people
> (including myself) are still running 3.x, FreeVSD may be a good solution for
> those who aren't ready to upgrade to 4.x.
>
> I think the answer to this will come soon - I haven't waded through
> the patches that FreeVSD makes to killall, login, kill,
> chmod/chown/chgrp, inetd and various kvm routines.  These patches will
> tell if FreeVSD is just "jail(8)-for-Linux."

okay, I just read scan'd through the pages for jail(8) and wonder how it
would deal with something like running sendmail on port 25 for IP # vs IP
#+1, writing its mail to a Cyrus mail spool, for instance ...

My understanding/feel of FreeVSD is that it essentially built a "virtual
machine" similar to the way that VMware would do it, without all the
overhead ... but each 'virtual machine' would be attached to a unique IP,
and have its full range of ports still accessible to it ...

From your experiences with FreeVSD so far, is this a correct assumption,
or is it "just another jail(8)"?