Date:      Mon, 4 Apr 2016 22:39:41 +0000
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        Matt Churchyard <matt.churchyard@userve.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Vale port naming

--E39vaYmALEf/7YXx

On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 10:37:48PM +0000, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 11:29:31AM +0000, Matt Churchyard via freebsd-net=
 wrote:
> > From the little information I can find on the net it seems that valeX:Y=
 is the format for a port on a vale switch.
> > Some examples use vale0:1, others use a letter such as valeA:0. The onl=
y details I can find is a vague reference to a 15/16? character limit, alth=
ough I don't know whether that applies to just the first part of the whole =
thing.
> >=20
> > Can anyone clarify the valid format for a vale switch/port?
> > Is there any length or character restriction on X & Y?
>=20
> According to the vale.4 manpage:
>=20
>         vale ports are named vale[bdg:][port] where vale is the prefix
>         indicating a VALE switch rather than a standard interface, bdg
>         indicates a specific switch (the colon is a separator), and port
>         indicates a port within the switch.  Bridge and port names are
>         arbitrary strings, the only constraint being that the full name
>         must fit within 16 characters.
>=20
> The manpage is confusing in that the name must be 15 characters plus the
> NUL character.  Given the other limits, it looks like bdg can be up to 8
> characters in practice.

Having hit send, I've noticed I'm wrong here. :)  In fact, you have 10
characters to split betwen bdg and port.

-- Brooks

--E39vaYmALEf/7YXx

--E39vaYmALEf/7YXx--