Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2008 09:30:24 -0600
From:      Eric F Crist <ecrist@secure-computing.net>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Cc:        geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.3-Release fixit and gmirror (7.0-RC1 too)

Hello folks,

I've got a problem with geom and 6.3-RELEASE/7.0-RC1 that is described
in greater detail below, in a conversation that started with Ivan
Voras and myself.  Please CC me on this thread, as I'm not on geom@.

I've also filled out a Problem Report on this issue:

 > Thank you very much for your problem report.
 > It has the internal identification `misc/120169'.
 > The individual assigned to look at your
 > report is: freebsd-bugs.
 >
 > You can access the state of your problem report at any time
 > via this link:

Thanks folks!

Eric Crist

On Jan 30, 2008, at 1:55 PM, Ivan Voras wrote:

> On 30/01/2008, Eric F Crist <ecrist@secure-computing.net> wrote:
>> Ivan,
>>
>> First off, I apologize if you're the wrong person to address this
>> issue to.  Please feel free to send me in the correct direction.
>>
>> We've had a routine we've used for quite some time now regarding
>> installing gmirror on our boot devices, which involved using gmirror
>> from the Fixit CD to tag and load gmirror onto your boot partition.
>> *All* versions of the 6.3 and 7.0 CDs we've tested have a flaw where
>> they seem to have a greatly crippled version of gmirror.
>>
>> I found your post to freebsd-stable regarding the amd64 7.0 RC1 live
>> cd from Johan Hendriks, and you mentioned that he should symlink /
>> dist/
>> lib/geom to /lib/geom.  We already do that in a why, by first
>> chrooting to /dist.  When I do this, /lib/geom appears where it
>> should.
>>
>> I have been able to successfully use a 6.2-RELEASE CD in the mean
>> time
>> to get gmirror installed on new systems, but I wanted to make certain
>> this is indeed a bug rather than designed.  I've noticed there are
>> now
>> three install CDs, rather than 2, which has been historical, without
>> considering the documentation CD.
>
> It is a bug, and quite silly one. I remember there has been attempt at
> fixing it (AFAIK the proposed solution was to ad an environment
> variable pointing to the correct directory) but either it was done
> wrongly or somebody forgot to MFC the change. It's an annoying little
> problem when trying to set up a new system and it should have been
> fixed ages ago.
>
> If it's still not fixed in 7.0-RC1 (sorry, can't check it at the
> moment), please start a thread at geom@ about it, and make it sound
> urgent so somebody picks it up and commits the right fix :)
>
> In the mean time, if you just need an easy way to set up gmirrors and
> similar things, you can try my LiveCD from here:
> http://ivoras.sharanet.org/stuff/freebsd7-finstall-alpha2.iso.bz2 -
> the installer is not quite ready yet but the livecd environment is
> 100% identical to a regular FreeBSD installation, except with a
> read-only root file system.

-----
Eric F Crist
Secure Computing Networks