Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 00:46:30 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3ware stuff not ready for heavy duty useage-followup

On 20 Aug 2001 14:15:05 -0400, in sentex.lists.freebsd.hardware you =
wrote:

> I have a 3ware raid a well  that so far has been A-ok. However it is =
not
>loaded much. The arrays so far have seemed ok, until loaded like a very =
busy
>server with lots of IO.=20
> SO far out of 4 servers attempted with the 3ware card.. not one has =
survived.
>Only my personal one which is obviosly less loaded.

I use a 4 port cards on my news server.  20Mb/s Usenet feed from Cidera
coming in 24hrs a day and 2Mb/s going out for readers plus night time
expires on DNEWS. I would call this fairly busy server in terms of IO.  =
No
problems ever.  The IDE drives are almost a year old and dont have =
errors.
The 4 drives are in 2 RAID 0 sets.

> As I said before, I don't think it is a driver issue, or a FreeBSD =
issue, but
>more a, can IDE's take the abuse and how well can 3ware deal with the =
myriad of
>error reporing they told me is a problem with IDE drives.
> I have heard they wil soon have a way to remap around bad sectors on =
the fly,
>This would prevent them from having to drop the disk in the event of =
error
>reporting hopefully.

Even with "cheap" IDE drives, I dont think you are going to see failures =
on
a weekly basis. This is rather odd. Like I said, I have been pounding the
snot out of 4 of them in my news server as well as 2 13 gig drives on a
busy squid box.  I also have a 4 port RAID 10 box on a fairly busy Win2K
box running MS SQL 7.=20

Perhaps its the 8 port card ? I have not used any of those.

	---Mike

Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)	=09
Sentex Communications Corp,   	=09
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers=20
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)