Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 1998 16:40:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@internetcds.com>
To:        Daniel Harris <daniel@cyberjunky.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD And Max Simultaneous Connections

Seems like one of those questions that can only be answered by testing.
I'm not sure there's enough info here toanswer that in any meaningful
fashion.

For example, is this a single threaded daemon multiplexing a lot of socket
descriptors, or is it a fork-type daemon that forks a copy to handle each
connection?  TCP?  UDP?  How large is the daemon?  Is 256MB of RAM enough?
How many file descriptors are necessary per connection?  DB connections?
Is there any other kind of I/O necessary?

In any case, (and you can use this as a wild guess), as a test, I ran
4000 HTTPD's (apache), serving 1000 different IP's, with static pages
consuming about 2GB of disk, on a box that also had 1000 inetd's running,
and it worked fine for static pages.

The box was a P6-200, I think it had 512MB RAM, and NFS mounted it's FS's.

YMMV.