Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 2008 10:17:50 +0100
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To:        Eirik =?utf-8?Q?=C3=98verby?= <ltning@anduin.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dropping syn+fin replies, but not really?

Eirik =C3=98verby <ltning@anduin.net> writes:
> I have a FreeBSD based firewall (pfsense) and, behind it, a few dozen
> FreeBSD servers. Now we're required to run external security scans
> (nessus++) on some of the hosts, and they constantly come back with a
> "high" or "medium" severity problem: The host replies to TCP packets
> with SYN+FIN set.
>
> Problem: Both the firewall (FreeBSD 6.2-based pfSense 1.2) and the
> host in question (recent FreeBSD 7.2-PRERELEASE) have
> net.inet.tcp.drop_synfin=3D1 - I would therefore expect this to be a
> non- issue.

I added drop_synfin for one reason and one reason only: it prevented
nmap from reliably identifying a FreeBSD machine, and at the time, that
was sufficient to ward off the kind of script kiddies that would
regularly attack EFNet IRC servers.  I don't think SYN+FIN packets were
ever a security issue, and I'm surprised Nessus thinks they are.
Perhaps someone read about drop_synfin and misunderstood its purpose?

Back to the issue at hand: you should use tcpdump to double-check
nessus's findings.  Who knows, perhaps drop_synfin was broken in a
network stack reorganization.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no