Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2001 01:03:35 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Bob Martin <bob@buckhorn.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bad password file after upgrade crash

Bob Martin wrote to freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG:

> While doing a binary upgrade from 3.3-Stable to 4.2-Release, we
> crashed (broken pipe) We restored the system from tape, but now it
> doesn't recognize any passwords.
>
> We've tried blowing away the db files and running pwd_mkdb, to no avail.

Did pwd_mkdb exit with success, and you're still getting the same symptoms
with passwords?  Or did it actually fail to run in some way?

Pass /etc/spwd.db through hexdump(1) and see what you get.

> Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Hi Bob,

Just a few unresearched thoughts out of the blue..

Check your installed encryption method (MD5/DES)... Was it (or the symlink
in /usr/lib) restored properly?

Does /etc/master.passwd actually contain valid crypted passwords, or are
they shadow passwords (*)?

How are you actually checking the passwords?  login(1) won't tell you
whether the password was invalid, or whether the login was invalid.  Are
you running kerberos, radius, etc?

fwiw, this isn't ISP-specific, so it may be a question better directed to
-questions.  A higher volume of experienced people can help you there.
That is where I have sent this reply.

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon