Date:      Sat, 22 Nov 2008 23:23:24 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Christoph Kukulies <kuku@kukulies.org>
Subject:   Re: mounting Mac OS .dmg files?

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 02:06:39PM -0800, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 3:00 AM, Christoph Kukulies <kuku@kukulies.org> wrote:
> > Since the underlying OS of Mac OS is FreeBSD I'm wondering whether itr is
> > possible to mount a
> > .dmg file as it is used in Apple software distribution for the Mac OS. I
> > would like to install an
> > Apple iPhone configuration utility on my FreeBSD box
> > (iPhoneConfigurationUtility.dmg). It consists of a
> > web application that is supposedly capable of doing updates of Apple iPhones
> > through a web service.
> > (good for company wide distribution of address book information and other
> > data that iPhones can hold).
> >
> > --
> > Christoph Kukulies
>
> As everyone else has pointed out, FreeBSD != OSX. I think that was the
> whole point of the Darwin logo (a platypus with Beastie's horns on it:
> <http://docs.huihoo.com/darwin/images/hexley-2.png>). If you watch the
> "BSD is Dying" presentation, you'll laugh when you see the reference
> to OSX as well:
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7833143728685685343 :).
>
> You have two choices:
> 1. Buy an Xserve loaded with OSX: http://shop.apple.com/ .
> 2. Compile and maintain your own copy of Apple's version of Darwin:
> http://opensource.apple.com/ .
>
> FYI, according to the Apple folks OSX is based off FreeBSD 5 (not sure
> which minor version):
>
> [Quote -- http://opensource.apple.com]:
> This fully-conformant UNIX operating system?built on Mach 3.0 and
> FreeBSD 5?bundles over a hundred of the most popular Open Source
> products.
> [/Quote]

Which version of FreeBSD was used in OSX will almost certainly depend
on which version of MacOS X you look at.

It is quite possible that the latest version of OSX uses code from
FreeBSD 5.x, but I guarantee that the first release of OSX did not.
(This is easily seen from the fact the MacOS X 10.0 was first released in
March 2001.  The latest FreeBSD release at that time was 4.2 (released in
November 2000.) FreeBSD 5.0 was not released until January 2003.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson