Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 1998 21:46:35 -0400
From:      Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   What ethernet card should I use on my PC with a modem cable?

Ok, in some week I will have modem cable(motorola's cybersurfr). I would
like to know:
1:what ethernet card (10baseT) should I use on my not-scsi PC P200
without problems.
2:does it's possible to use my freebsd has a router for another computer
if;

modem cable--->FreeBSD-box with "one" ethernet card--->coaxial to--->foo
computer

Do I need 2 ethernet card on my FreeBSD box? I dont want a hub. Ideally,
I would like to use only one ethernetper computer. But the tech guy say
to me than I cannot use the coax if the rj-45 is in use with the modem.
My finances are limited ;-)
What would be the better solution? 2 ethernet card on the freebsd box
and one on the other or a hub or anything else I dont know about :-) ?
3:Does it's true than there is an upload limitation or any kind of
limitation in the cybersurfr cable modem wich are not official? I've
heard weird stories about a 20k limitation in the upload ;-)

Do you want more info?
Tank you

PS:I will be connected to videotron, in Montreal, canada.
PPS:Can someone explain me why my cable modem 24hours connection will
cost me 55$ CAN per month (with the location of the modem included) and
than a SLOW 56kpbs connection 24hours would cost me 150$ CAN?
--
[Malartre][malartre@aei.ca][http://www.aei.ca/~malartre/]