Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 2020 11:33:11 -0400
From:      "Mikhail T." <mi+t@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Jan Beich <jbeich@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        gecko@freebsd.org
Subject:   Shared libxul.so (was Re: Restoring seamonkey)

[Forking the Seamonkey thread, because the topic is different]

On 28.03.20 20:47, Jan Beich wrote:
> libxul.so is no longer the same between various Gecko-based projects.

It doesn't have to be /the same/ -- just needs to still be compatible
enough for a motivated developer to patch the rest. An argument added
here and there, a method deprecated -- such problems may be solvable
within a port.

Maybe, libxul -- the best version (from firefox tree, I guess?) can be
moved into a port of its own, for firefox and others to use... Maybe, a
few such ports -- for different major versions, if necessary, the way we
have ruby22 and 24, for example.

And, yes, I'd be willing to do it -- if I can be reasonably assured, the
work will not be rejected off hand on the grounds of "exhausting
maintenance" or some such.

I've done it before, as a matter of fact -- it was my work, that once
changed firefox and thunderbird to use the common nspr and nss
(r1r141034, r41037), for example.

Back then there was an agreement among port-maintainers, that sharing
components is a good thing -- do we still share this sentiment?

Yours,

    -mi