Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 1996 13:32:44 -0500
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Adam David <adam@veda.is>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Can anyone explain...?

<<On Sat, 23 Nov 1996 03:07:39 GMT, Adam David <adam@veda.is> said:

>> I vote for keeping the previous name.

> It would be worth keeping MET for backward compatibility?
> CET does make better sense though as the standard name.

That doesn't make any sense.  A timezone only has a single set of
abbreviations.  Unless you wanted to create an alternative set of
timezone data files, the only difference in which was that some
European countries have a different abbreviation?  Gack.

So long as I'm maintaining the timezone database I want to minimize
our divergence from the master source, and I am strongly opposed to
changes such as you suggest which would represent a nightmare in
thirty different zones.  I have in my mailbox right now a 2500-line
patch from Paul Eggert implementing changes on every single continent
(including Antarctica!); I won't want this to become more of a hassle.

-GAWollman

MIT, LCS, ANA, or NSA|                     - Susan Aglukark and Chad Irschick