Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 2016 18:06:07 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mail/postfix and mail/postfix-current need upgrading

--PpoGFkUg4gSHoThAFpU3MTg5t2S52CuEk

On 02/26/16 17:29, Roger Marquis wrote:
> While we're on the subject of Postfix, has anyone tried submitting a
> patch to remove the unnecessary perl5 build dependency?  We don't insta=
ll
> perl to our smtp jails so always do this but it seems odd the maintaine=
> still requires such a heavyweight build-dep for a lightweight one-line
> regex.

If you're interested in keeping your smtp jails as frugal as possible, I
strongly recommend setting up a package build server and installing from
your own pkg repo.  As perl is only a BUILD_DEPENDS[*] it shouldn't
trouble you in this scenario.  Plus installing from binary packages
involves much less downtime and risk to your frontline services.

The perl requirement in postfix appears to be about building man pages
-- it's from upstream, rather than something arbitrarily added in the
port Makefile.  In fact, all that the port Makefile does is modify the
postfix build infrastructure so it can find perl in the usual location
it gets installed on FreeBSD.

	Cheers,

	Matthew