Date:      Sat, 4 Aug 2001 11:13:13 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Depending on libxslt

--ncSAzJYg3Aa9+CRW

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 03:07:33PM +0200, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:
> On Thu 2001-08-02 (17:18), Nik Clayton wrote:
> >   3.  Once (2) is accomplished then the main index.sgml page for the web
> >       site can become an XSL stylesheet.  This can then pull in data
> >       from the news.xml file, allowing us to do tricks like
> >       automatically featuring the top four headlines on the main index
> >       page.
>=20
> Agreed totally - the ability to use tools to (pre)generate the front
> page with the latest security advisories, FreeBSD news, upcoming events,
> and so forth would help a lot.  (See Debian and NetBSD front pages, for
> example).

Try this (assuming you have installed libxslt):

  1.  Download http://people.freebsd.org/~nik/www-xml.tar

  2.  cd(1) to a checked out copy of the website

  	% cd www/en

  3.  Extract the tar file

  	% tar xvf /path/to/www-xml.tar

  4.  news/news.xml contains the raw data for the newsflash page.  It's
      commented, so take a look.  To generate the newsflash page do

      	% cd news
	% xsltproc news.xsl news.xml > newsflash.html

  5.  Generate an RDF file, for web sites that want to syndicate news
      from the FreeBSD site

       	% xsltproc news-rdf.xsl news.xml > news.rdf

  6.  Generate a prototype of the website front page that includes the
      first four entries from news.xml

        % cd ..
	% xsltproc index.xsl news/news.xml > index.html

Except for sprinkling a little make(1) pixie dust around the whole
process I think this is ready for commit.  Any comments?

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve             http://www.freebsd.org/
FreeBSD Documentation Project           http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

          --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---

--ncSAzJYg3Aa9+CRW

--ncSAzJYg3Aa9+CRW--