Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 2002 15:50:51 -0700
From:      Peter Buckingham <pbuckingham@Lnxw.COM>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD and HP Pavilion computers

Hi Julian,

Julian Elischer wrote:
> did you get CDs?

it had the recovery cds.

> I was going to try reinstall the Windows in a virtual partition
> for VMware but as they give you a the software distribution
> in a "recovery partition" on the disk instead of on CDs
> that becomes hard(er).

i remember have some difficulties because the recovery cds try to take the whole
partition. with partition magic i think that i hid the end partition and
everything was okay.

> Also whan IO put on the BSD boot manager it booted directly to 'recovery
> mode' instead of to BSD. It then wanted to
> recreate the original (BIG) ntfs partition instead of
> living with the BSD partiton  and smaller ntfs partition I replaced
> it with..  I'm still experimenting with it though..

not sure about this, it was a while ago since i did it.

> also any idea what type the ethernet card is.. BSD 4.4 didn't see it
> that's for sure..

mine was a wierd version of realtek, i haven't managed to get it working yet. it
detects it but then has problems so it doesn't quite load. i am currently having
problems with it detecting my modem. i have an actiontec pci modem which has
it's id listed in the pci_ids, pciconf -lv lists it, but it is not detected as
an sio on boot :-( this modem is detected and runs fine under linux and windows
on the exact same pc. i am trying to upgrade to current to see whether this helps...

i can give you more details when i get home.

peter