Date:      Wed, 4 Jun 1997 02:18:31 -0400
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   aha1542 changes

Recently, I built a new kernel for a old system (I think it was the
960612 2.2 snap), and added the TUNE_1542 option.  After that, I've
been getting a couple of bus errors from aha0 (about one every two
hours sitting idle).  (There were other changes to the kernel, so I'm
still experimenting to see what's gone wrong, and what follows is part
of how I'm going about these experiments.)

I hacked in some changes to aha1542.c to add a new option,
TUNE_1542_MARGIN.  As we all know, the TUNE_1542 option backs off one
notch from the last working speed.  This sounds just fine, but
concievably might (to my mind) not work for highly marginal cases.
The new option, TUNE_1542_MARGIN, specifies how many notches to back
off (instead of the default of one notch).

I checked the -current aha1542.c, and the function that I hacked
(aha_set_bus_speed) hasn't changed, so I made a set of diffs for the
-current aha1542.  Now, assuming that this solves all my problems and
restores harmony and peace (as opposed to hard drive pieces), would
anybody be interested in these diffs?

Happy hacking,
joelh

PS: I hate to read what I'm about to say, but cope.  I don't subscribe
to -hackers, so please keep me in the cc: list.

--
http://www.wp.com/piquan --- Joel Ray Holveck --- joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu
All my opinions are my own, not the Free Software Foundation's.

Second law of programming:
Anything that can go wrong wi
sendmail: segmentation violation -- core dumped