Date:      Fri, 10 Jul 1998 11:13:36 +0000
From:      "Duncan Barclay" <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        patton@sysnet.net (Matthew Patton), John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        tcole@nihilist.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SOLUTION! 2.2.6-Release to -current

> Matthew Patton wrote:
> > To think I went through all this pain just to get a SMP kernel so I can
> > crack rc5des faster. My word of advice: if you want SMP, save yourself the
> > hassle and start with a -current snapshot. *whew*
>
> *Grumble*. Today I went though the exercise of installing 2.2.6-RELEASE
> from the CD that WC ships. I booted from the install CD, used the
> visual thingy to deselect all the hardware I don't have (leaving
> just ide/fd controllers, par/ser ports, ed0) and did a novice
> install. I gave it the whole disk (wd0), let it use the default
> partitions, and selected just the user binaries. I created one group
> and one user, set the timezone and root password, rebooted, logged
> in as root, NFS mounted /usr/src from another machine. Then I did
> exactly as I have been advising people to do:
>
> cd /usr/src
> make -m /usr/src/share/mk world
>
> I sat and watched it do the complete build without error. No need to
> set BINFORMAT or MACHINE_ARCH. No editing /etc/make.conf. No
> specially installing mk files. No rebuilding just libc. No secret
> handshake. No rocket science. Just a simple make.

To echo and reinforce that this works I did the following a couple of
weeks ago whilst setting -current up on a spare MB.
	vanilla 2.2.6 relase from the CDs
	checked out -current source from CD2 into /bigdisk/current
	cvsup'd the tree
	cd /bigdisk/current/src
	make -m `pwd`/share/mk buildworld
	make DESTDIR=/smalldisk -m `pwd`/share/mk installworld
	mkdir -p /smalldisk/usr/src/sys
	pax'd sys into /smalldisk/usr/sys
	chroot'd to /smalldisk
	cd /sys/i386/conf
	configure GENERIC
	cd ../../compile/GENERIC
	make depend
	make all
	make install
(this is from memory, but the buildworld certainly was done as
advertised).

I then took out smalldisk from my big machine and put it onto
an old 486 MB, and turned it and booted -current.

Since then I've done NFS re-installs via PLIP (I have three network
cards, at least two are dead :-().

Duncan