Date:      Tue, 9 May 2000 08:21:00 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        Max Clark <max.clark@emind.com>
Cc:        tg@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: python-1.5.2

On Mon, 8 May 2000, Max Clark wrote:

> I am contemplating installing Mailman (www.list.org) which requires python
> 1.5.2. On the FreeBSD description for the Python port no dependencies are
> listed. However via the file system the readme states that "port requires
> package(s) XFree86-3.3.6 tcl-8.2.3 tk-8.2.3". This server does not have a
> XFree86 installed, nor does it have a video card.
>
> Does the python port install XFree86? I do not want to put XFree86 on this
> system is there any way around this?

when using the port, you should be able to disable the X support.  Python
uses X via Tcl/Tk, so you'll want to look at the port and see if there's
any documented way to disable the Tcl/Tk support (Tkinter is the name of
the Python module).  Setting USE_X11 appropriately may be sufficient.

If in doubt, you could try e-mailing the port maintainer.

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
        andymac@pcug.org.au           (play2) |        Australia