Date:      Sat, 10 May 2014 17:11:52 -0400
From:      Jan Knepper <jan@digitaldaemon.com>
To:        Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Leaving the Desktop Market

On 4/1/14, 6:44 AM, Tom Evans wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 10:40 AM, Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net> wrote:
>> I'm a happy FreeBSD desktop user since 4.7. There are some edges, but I
>> really like that I can can create a desktop the way _I_ want it and my
>> mail client even allows me to break lines at 80 chars. Eat that, Apple
>> Mail! ;-)
:-)
> I'm also a happy camper with FreeBSD and X. I use FreeBSD as my
> primary work environment, running on a laptop. I use FreeBSD as my
> HTPC, recording TV shows, transcoding content and streaming it to my
> iStuff. I use FreeBSD as my primary desktop at home.
>
> You do need to make some smart choices about what hardware you buy
> (when has it not been thus when you want to run an open OS?)
The choices go for server hardware too. I have run a FreeBSD internet
server on a T1 and later a 2xT1 for 14 years. When ever the hardware had
to be upgraded I always checked the hardware compatibility list...
> Better power management than just powerd is possible, you need to
> disable any device you are using that you don't need, and tweak a few
> things specific to your laptop - Alexander Motin got his laptop to
> exceed his windows run time., with many tweaks. That is, if you care
> about it - I don't, as I'm always docked or in a meeting room with
> power.
It would be great if how he accomplished that would be documented
somewhere if it has not been done already.
> I feel there is no need for FreeBSD to compete with Linux. The main
> benefit of FreeBSD to me is that (almost) everything is documented, it
> is documented in a coherent and consistent manner, there is only one
> "flavour" of FreeBSD; if it is a FreeBSD system I know where the OS
> conf lives, where the userland conf lives.
Agreed!
> To compete with Linux desktop OS would take a huge amount of polish
> that is just not justified for users like me, I'm very happy with the
> amount of polish that we currently have (thank you Xorg team for
> NEW_XORG!). FreeBSD has enough in it that other projects (PC-BSD) can
> use FreeBSD as a base and provide that polish.
Agreed!

--
ManiaC++
Jan Knepper

The Power to Serve: www.freebsd.org
But as for me and my household, we shall use Mozilla... www.mozilla.org
Get legal - Get OpenOffice.org... www.openoffice.org

Charton Heston: "Mr. Clinton, when what you say is wrong, it's a mistake. When you know it's wrong, it's a lie. Remember?"