Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 11:55:36 -0500
From:      sridharv@ufl.edu
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP queue question

is there any specific advantage in using
device_polling method? does is give sth other than
fairness? or is the multiple queue a 100% a;ternative?
can u tell me a bit more about inline processing? or
pointers to text would also do
cheers
Quoting Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>:

> Hi,
> FreeBSD uses a single queue, but as long as you make
sure that you
> do not fill the queue with packets coming from a
single interface,
> you can still give some fairness to the system.
Recent "DEVICE_POLLING"
> code in -current (hopefully going into -stable at
some point) does
> exactly this -- an alternative way, which is not
terribly hard to
> implement, could be to put packets from each
interface into a
> separate queue as Comer suggests, and then going
round-robin on
> these queues upon the software interrupt.
>
> As for the soft interrupt going away soon, this
won't happen, there
> are pros and cons for using delayed processing so
the goal is to
> augment the mechanism with inline processing, not
replace it.

sridharv@ufl.edu wrote:
> > I was reading TCP/IP Vol 2 by douglas comer. In
that
> > he has one queue for each interface from which the
IP
> > layer processes the incoming datagrams. He has used
> > round-robin for fairness. I checked up the BSD code
> > and it seems to use only one queue 'ipintrq'. The
> > ethernet driver places the mbuf in this queue for
an
> > IP payload. Comer has also asked a review question
> > pertaining to the disadvantage of having a single
> > queue ( which i presume inhibits fair scheduling
and
> > stuff)
> > Have I interpreted the code correctly? Y is this
so in
> > BSD?
> > Also when I took a look at FreeBSD ipinput code the
> > ipintr function which handles the software
interrupt
> > had a comment which said " to go away sometime
soon" .
> > Why and what is the alternative?
> >
> > The fastest way to change is to laugh at your own
> > folly - Who moved my cheese

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of
the message