Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 1996 16:06:07 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        sef@kithrup.com (Sean Eric Fagan)
Cc:        dennis@etinc.com, louie@TransSys.COM, hackers@FreeBSD.org, isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Frame Relay and FreeBSD

> >eeee-gads...why? Can it by my firewall? can I add an ethernet for $60.? Can
> >I add a T1
> >for $200? Can it serve my Web pages? can it be my E-mail server?
>
> Can your Web or e-mail server boot up in 30 seconds or less?

IF you have a swap area that is the size of usable swap *plus* the
size of memory

*AND* You add state save/restore patches,

THEN the answer is 15-20 seconds.

The answer is about 30-40 seconds for an install, if the install
calculates (and you immediately accept) reasonable minimal config
defaults.

> Does your Web or e-mail server have NO moving parts?

Do fans count?  8-).

> Can your Web or e-mail server function without a keyboard, monitor, monitor
> card, disk drive, floppy drive, etc?

Does "etc." include Flash-ATA?  8-).

> Can you fit 10-15 of your Web or e-mail servers in the space taken up by a
> standard large tower PC case?

Do portables count?  You pay a premium for density...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.