Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 1999 13:02:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposal: Add generic username for 3rd-party MTA's

>From: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
>Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 18:33:06 +0200

>I plan to add a user ``smtp'' with UID 25 and a member of group
>``mail'', for use in running non-priveledged MTA's in FreeBSD. This is
>primarily for the convenience of maintainers of mail ports.

>This has nothing to do with what's in the base system. This has to do
>with making it easier for people to run 3rd-party software, which isn't
>part of the base system, in a non-priveledged state.

I think the overall idea is good, though my tendency has been to use
somewhat higher numbers (like 65532 or 65533).  And I do it with
sendmail.

At least in the case of sendmail, the queue directories should be owned
by the user in question (especially if they're mode 0700).

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915