Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 16:57:10 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@noc.dfn.de>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   option NFS -- why would I want it?

hello, world\n

just out of curiosity: when I compile a kernel with option NFS the
size increases by 250k (on an i486, 2.2.5R):

-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   886718 Apr 16 14:25 kernel
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1125987 Apr 16 13:14 kernel+NFS

However, even without option NFS in the kernel, I can use all
NFS stuff, like mounting nfs file systems, use the automounter
and so on. The machine works both as nfs server and client.

I do think that 'option NFS' is there for a reason. The only reason
I can think of right now is that I need nfs in the kernel if the
machine is diskless. Is there another catch?

Regards,

--
Jens Schweikhardt  http://www.shuttle.de/schweikh/