Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 03:24:04 +0200
From:      Purrcat <K.Staring@UCI.KUN.NL>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   shared mem between parent & child

Hi,

  Is there any way that I can share an int between a parent process and
some child processes? I'm writing a program which must do about this:
the children (created by a fork of course) increase a shared integer
variable when they're busy, and when they're not busy anymore, decrease
the shared integer with 1. The parent makes some non-educated guesses
about this; when all children are busy, the parent forks some more to
create some leeway.. I think I can do this with a shared variable (if
this kind of thing exists anyway).. If there's no such thing as a
'shared variable', could it be done in another way (like stdin and
stdout or something?)

thanx for the repy if you should decide to....

-- Khamba Staring

"Windhose NT can be run by any idiot, and it usually is too..."