Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 2009 11:37:57 +0000
From:      Neil Darlow <neil@darlow.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is multi-session DVD writing broken for cdrtools-devel a65 and later?

--Sig_/BbDkwuMZA+qIhBss_tBEJ53

Hi,

I've been using cdrtools-devel as part of my backup-to-DVD scheme for a
number of years. I switched from using cdrtools to cdrtools-devel due to a
problem with DMA alignment which was fixed in cdrtools-devel.

My regime consists of performing a full backup on a Sunday and differential
backups against it on subsequent days (I use dar to create the backups).

The full backup session is created with "growisofs -Z" and the differential
backup sessions with "growisofs -M". growisofs is a dvd+rw-tools program th=
at
serves as a high-level interface to cdrtools' mkisofs.

This setup has been working fine until cdrtools-devel-2.01.01a65 where the
second and later sessions (the differential backups) started to fail with an
error to the effect that the DVD doesn't contain an ISO fs. This seems a
bogus error because the initial session has been written to the DVD correct=
ly
and it most certainly is an ISO fs.

For now, I've been able to downgrade to cdrtools and multi-session appears =
work fine there. My concern is that cdrtools is nearing a new stable release
and this errant behaviour I've experienced could find its way into the comi=
ng
release.

Has anyone else experienced multi-session write failures with recent builds
of cdrtools-devel (a65 and later)? I would like some confirmation before I
progress any bug report towards Schilly.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

--=20
This e-mail contains an attached digital signature. Please do not remove it.