Date:      Fri, 5 Sep 1997 07:31:08 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jamil@acromail.ml.org (J. Weatherbee)
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD floppy disk driver does not work...

As J. Weatherbee - Chief Systems Engineer wrote:

> My disk is not bad it does this during an fdformat also on any floppy and
> yes I have tried using the fd0.1440 and raw as parameters.

Tell me what you want, but these messages are being passed straight
through from the FDC in your machine.  (If you knew the NE765 status
registers, you'd see the resemblance between these messages and the
ST0/ST1/ST2/C/H/R/N result codes of this chip.)  So either your
floppy's dead, or your drive is worn out, or the FDC is using the
wrong clock or such.  I can ensure you that this is *not* a driver
problem.

You should also notice that most of your problems appear on sector 7
on both heads, which terribly looks like a scratch or fold in the
floppy medium.

You should finally remember that FreeBSD's floppy driver does not do a
medium autodetection, so using a 720 KB floppy with the default (1440
KB) device would also result in a bunch of errors.  However, this is
not the case in your quoted example.  All the error codes you gave us
were ``Bad CRC in data field'', i. e. the ID fields were completely
okay, and the data fields could be read, but failed checksumming.  You
might even have been returned the (bogus) data in the user buffer.

--
cheers, J"org