Date:      Wed, 8 May 2002 12:26:27 +0200 (CEST)
From:      remy@boostworks.com
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxp0: SCB timeout

On  7 May, Doug White wrote:
> On Tue, 7 May 2002 remy@boostworks.com wrote:
>
>> On  6 May, Paul Dlug wrote:
>> >
>> > If the general consensus is that adding a PCI NIC and disabling the
>> > onboard will fix it, I'll go that route. But I'd rather try to
>> > understand what the actual problem is and hopefully get a fix for
>> > it. Does anyone have suggestions for further debugging?
>> >

>> I spent around a week, a month ago, trying to understand the problem.
>> If it may help, here is the tale:
>>
>> The machine is an Intel SCB2 (SMP, ServerWorks HE-SL based) with a 64
>> Bits/66Mhz PCI NIC using a 21154BC transparent PCI bridge and two 82559
>> A0 revision chips.
>
> Funny you mention the SCB2. The BMC hooks the NIC looking for
> management packets on this board (and other IPMI-equipped
> motherboards).  I've gotten large numbers of SCB timeouts when
> communicating with the BMC this way. So it might just be the NIC is
> being grabbed for another purpose and the driver is sensitive to this.
>
> Note I have not seen any performance degredation as a result, although
> I haven't done large amounts of testing.
>
> Doug White                    |  FreeBSD: The Power to Serve
> dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org

IIRC, there have been notice that some IPMI releases were using TCO
force mode in specific cases. This means that the 82559 or 82550 is
'reserved' for SMBus transactions and do not send regular packets in the
transmit ring (hence the timeouts).

BTW, many many thanks, Doug, for your work about IPMI. Reading the SEL
records from FBSD is a lot more efficient than hooking a keyboard and a
mouse, booting on the support CD and dealing with the Windows 3.11 like
interface.

RN.
IhM