Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 22:48:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fibre Channel Controller [ LONG RESPONSE ]

> > So, to get back to your question: I'd have to say that FC is cool, and
> > will really be awesome over time, but it's just *barely* at the level you
> > could put it together in your own shop with. Caveat Emptor. Man, it's
> > painful to admit this, but it's true.
>
>   That is my experience while looking for FC gear.  I'd love to replace
> the storage systems on our dozen or so servers with two FC storage servers
> and a FC switch.  I couldn't find any reasonably priced solutions.
>
>   BTW, can your driver handle that scenario with a switch?  i.e.  multiple
> hosts accessing one or two FC arrays (with independent RAID controller).

This can be done without a switch. I've had the following private
loop setup, e.g., work reasonably well for me:

			    Vixel Hub
FreeBSD i386 ->			|
Solaris 2.7 intel ->		|
FreeBSD Alpha ->		|
Solaris 2.7 sparc ->		|-(initiator/target dev I cannot name)
				|-4 Disk JBOD
Linux i386 ->			|-Sun Photon (A5000) (up to 14 disks)
				|-Sun Photon (A5000) (up to 14 disks)

As long as the loop isn't disturbed, it's quite stable. Reasonable 'white
board' disk ownership management works. If the loop is disturbed, the
'loop id shifting' thing I referred to can occur, and like I said, that
code isn't well tested. I've tried a SOCAL (Sun's SBus FC card) in this
configuration with mixed results (sometimes the loop just crashes and
nobody can see anybody). I've tried a JNI card in this configuration,
also with some mixed results.

I have also had, ha ha, this configuration:

			    Vixel Hub
Solaris 2.7 sparc->		|
Solaris 2.7 sparc->		|
Solaris 2.7 sparc->		|
Solaris 2.7 sparc->		|- 8 Disk JBOD

*not* work well (I mean, it does work well, but the drive f/w was such
that too many multiple initiator accesses cause the f/w on the drive to
crash requiring a power cycle to correct. Really. Very. Very. Bad. I now
have a friend of mine not really speaking to me because of this. Sigh).

I've not tried the Symbios FC Raid controllers for quite a while, so I
can't say how well they work. I'm always *very* eager to hear what people
find out- I'm mostly self-funded in a lot of this, so my h/w test matrix
isn't nearly as large as I would like.

The switch configuration *can* work (it's early days for the code I put
in), but all that really does is join together multiple loops such that if
I query the Fabric name server and get list of disks back, I can 'map'
them to loop ID's such that the Qlogic knows they're not on the local
loop. This picture looks like, e.g.:

				 Brocade Switch

(initiator/target dev I cannnot name)-	|
Sun Photon (A5000) -			|
					| <- FreeBSD i386
					| <- FreeBSD alpha
					| <- Linux Alpha