Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 21:38:31 -0600
From:      "Jim C. Nasby" <jim@nasby.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: shutdown problems FBSD 3.4-STABLE

FWIW, I am having the exact same problems, except I'm not running
softupdates, only vinum. The box is an Asus P2B-DS, dual PII-333s,
Matrox G200, XFree86. The non-dying process I can live with. The big
problems that I see is that shutdown/reboot/halt is very inconsistent in
it's behavior. The 3 commands will do different things at different
times (I mostly use shutdown, but I've seen the same problems with halt
and reboot).

1) Box gets partway through killing processes then hangs
2) same as 1, with the addition of a continuous tone from the speaker
3) Same as 1, except that after I hit a few keys, I get the tone from
the speaker

I've seen this behavior on shutdown -r, shutdown now (drop to single
user), reboot, and halt (maybe shutdown -h too, don't remember).

This hardware was running 3.0-RELEASE for months without problems, so I
rather doubt it's the hardware. I first noticed it when I started
running vinum under 3.3-stable, and the problem continues. I just tried
rm'ing /usr/src and /usr/obj and re-cvsupping, all to no avail.

Any ideas? Greg, have you heard other cases of this?

jim@nasby.net                                               /___\