Date:      Mon, 1 Oct 2001 21:26:29 +1000
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        Bsd Newbie <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: accidently pulled the plug...

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 03:19:35AM -0700, Bsd Newbie wrote:
> I thought I was disconneting my windows machine... but I pulled the plug
> for my FreeBSD machine instead...

Wooops.

> I haven't powered the machine on yet... I want to know what I should to to
> sort any problems that might arise because I didn't do a proper shutdown.

When you start the machine, it will see that the system wasn't
shutdown properly. It will run fsck to check for problems with the
file system. Next what happens is dependant of what you were doing
with the machine. If it was idle for a couple of minutes there
shouldn't be much troubles, everything should have be synced on
disk. If you were writing to the disk, then these files might be
lost or damaged. If you were in vi, you will be given the option
to recover your sessions. If you have softupdates enabled on your
filesystems, then you will propably have the least problems.

Turn it on and see what fsck is saying of it!

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis   |              Personal website: http://www.MavEtJu.org
edwin@mavetju.org |           Interested in MUDs? Visit Fatal Dimensions: