Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 23:25:02 +1100
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        Derek Jewett <djewett@snowcrest.net>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ethernet segment spliting

derek,

On Mon, Feb 22, 1999 at 07:21:13PM -0800, Derek Jewett wrote:
> Does sound like a ppp connection to the three "outstations" would be best
> fitting in your case. I belive you could just set up a ppp server on your
> central segment, and the outstations would be able to dial into the central
> network and "bridge" packets accross the line(s)... good luck!

if teh three 'outstations' were just that i'd be home and hosed .. grin, the
'probelm' is that they are not one host dialups.

it sorta looks like this .. i'm at the center of a cart wheel, with the spokes
being a 'route' to teh stattalite 'outstations', each of those being a cluster
of two or three indepemdant hosts on an ethernet segment of some sort.

more i think about it, more its looking like an isp type of thingie.

i'm going to be reading up on tun and ppp and natd to see how it can be fitted
together .. this natd thing has got me perplexed, why go to teh trouble of
converting 'fake' ip addrs to real addrs, sure i've got a few to burn and i
understand why wes suggested using natd and teh rfc1953 (sory i may have this
wrong) addr blocks.

just as an aside .. is this sort of common in freebsd, or have i stumbled
into a part of network theory that isn't to often traveled ?

regards and thx

jonathan