Date:      Wed, 07 Dec 2005 10:30:19 +0200
From:      Adrian <adrian@ct.netstat.ro>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adventurous fix for wheel mouse not working in FreeBSD 6.0

------------=_1133944218-2450-17

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 09:03:19 +0200, <johnwrussell@comcast.net> wrote:

> After installing FreeBSD 6.0, I was no longer able to scroll using the
> wheel on my Logitech Optical Mouse.  I ran moused with the -fd flags and
> confirmed that the  mouse daemon was catching the z-axis events.  My
> xorg.conf looked OK to me:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Mouse0"
>         Driver      "mouse"
>         Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
>         Option      "CorePointer"
>         Option      "AlwaysCore"
>         Option      "Protocol" "Auto"
>         Option      "Buttons" "5"
>         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>         Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
> EndSection
>
> I struggled for days and tried dozens of things.  I came to suspect that
> the
> problem was related to changes in the way ZAxisMapping is handled by
> Xorg.  Based on stuff in an Xorg mailing list, I suspect further
> changes, likely  to be corrective, will be in future versions of the
> FreeBSD xorg-server port.
>
> However, for the adventurous and impatient, this is what I did to fix my
> problem:
>
> 1.  Edit
> /usr/ports/x11-servers/xorg-server/work/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/input/mouse/mouse.c
> and change from NULL to "4 5" in the following line:
>
> 530c530
> <     s = xf86SetStrOption(pInfo->options, "ZAxisMapping", "4 5");
> ---
>>     s = xf86SetStrOption(pInfo->options, "ZAxisMapping", NULL);
>
> 2.  portupgrade -Wwf xorg-server
>
> 3.  Restart the X server with CTRL-ALT-Backspace.
>
> I don't really know why it works, so I recommend it only for daredevils,
> unless someone wiser can say it is sound.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John

Funny, besides upgrading from 5.4 to 6.0, I changed from nVidia to Radeon
and from a bloated old mouse to a Logitech Optical USB mouse.

Anyway, the video cards were easy to change. But the mouse was tricky.

The generic /dev/sysmouse didn't work for me so i had to specify /dev/ums0
and "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" and the rest was history.

I don't use xdm/gdm/kdm though, i have startx with kde for now. And
sometimes i have to kill the moused daeomn before starting X.

------------=_1133944218-2450-17

Serverele DataNet scaneaza automat toate mesajele dumneavoastra impotriva virusilor pentru a mentine un mediu cat mai curat.
Retineti ca exista intotdeauna un risc pe care vi-l asumati atunci cand deschideti un mesaj e-mail.

This message has been scanned automatically against viruses on DataNet servers. Please note that you allways assume a risk when
you open an e-mail message.

------------=_1133944218-2450-17--