Date:      Mon, 13 Jun 2005 14:30:29 +0200
From:      Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak@ijs.si>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Cc:        x11@FreeBSD.org, Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Subject:   Re: bug in mkfontdir?

On Saturday 11 of June 2005 17:06, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> It seems, that the Xorg's mkfontdir will list both *.bdf and *.pcf
> versions of the same file in the generated fonts.dir
>
> This is contrary to the manual page and the old behavior.
>
> For example, the x11-fonts/gemini-fonts port creates PCF files from BDF
> sources and then runs mkfontdir to create fonts.dir.
>
> With XFree86's mkfontdir the file will begin with the number 68 and list
> the PCFs only -- as per the mkfontdir(1).
>
> With Xorg's, the file begins with 136 and each font ends up listed twice:
>
> 	[...]
> 	gem1c.bdf -gemini-courier-medium-r-normal--8-80-75-75-m-50-koi8-u
> 	gem1c.pcf.gz -gemini-courier-medium-r-normal--8-80-75-75-m-50-koi8-u
> 	gem1cb.bdf -gemini-courier-bold-r-normal--8-80-75-75-m-50-koi8-u
> 	gem1cb.pcf.gz -gemini-courier-bold-r-normal--8-80-75-75-m-50-koi8-u
> 	[...]
>
> Is this something, I should only talk about with the Xorg people?

Hm, does this cause any trouble with using fonts or does it only generate
larger file?
Actually XFree86 4.4 behaves same as Xorg 6.8.2 - they both have mkfontdir as
shell wrapper for mkfontscale. This was changed however in XFree86 4.5 -
mkfontdir as separate executable was reinstated because of problem with
generating encodings.dir - cvs log might be of use:
http://cvsweb.xfree86.org/cvsweb/xc/programs/mkfontdir/Imakefile
So in case this causes trouble, Xorg should probably do the same (there
doesn't seem to be any changes in Xorg mkfontdir in CVS).
It should be eventually fixed in Xorg tree, but if this is a problem we can of
course patch it in ports for the time being.

Dejan