Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 12:49:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Raj Chetty <RChetty@gnn.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Mon, 26 Feb 1996, Raj Chetty wrote:

> I have a IBM Aptiva with 8meg memory. The hard disk is an EIDE set up us
> master and connected to local bus. It is partitioned as follows using FDISK
> that came with OS/2 Warp.
>
> 	primary partition --------------Boot Manager------------Startable
> 	primary partition ----drive c---pc-dos/win 3.1---FAT----bootable
> 	Extended partition----drive d---data files-------FAT----
> 				drive e---min OS/2---------HPFS---bootable
> 				drive f---OS/2 Warp etc----HPFS---bootable.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. Is it possible to install(Novice) FreeBSD on drive 'e' after deleting min
>
>    OS/2? This partition is 48MBytes in size.

I don't think so.  You're going to need 100MB to get anything decent.

This looks SUSPICIOUSLY like the layout of my disk!!  :-)  I bought a
540mb disk and stuck FreeBSD on that.  My DOS/OS/2 stuff just took up too
much space.

> 2. If the answer to question 1 is no what should be changed? I am willing to
>    re-partition the hard drive and re-install the other systems if there is

Delete lots of stuff or buy a second disk.  that's all I can say.

> 3. Is there a write-up that deals with the situation I have?

I have this exact situation, I can help you out with it.  You're set for
the most part, when you add the bsd partition it'll show up in fdisk;
just add it to the Boot Manager and off you go.

Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant