Date:      Mon, 09 Dec 1996 23:16:08 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert), chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: siguing into current from a random version

> Perforce has a source code control system that purports to be equivalent
> to CVS, but with atomic locking.  Last I checked, they were very proud
> of the fact that their system runs on FreeBSD, and are giving away 2-
> user systems for FreeBSD.  They would probably be very willing to donate
> a server and clients for the FreeBSD core team, and anyone else can
> get their own system, including clients, for read-only access.

Oh, we know - one of the founders of this company (Chris Seiwald) even
took the time to give several of the FreeBSD core team members a
complete demonstration of Perforce.  It's been something I've since
felt sort of bad about, the fact that we never made use of all the
information (and server licenses) he provided us.  Our CVS repository
meister is also a big fan of Perforce and has been watching it for
some time.

We've just got so much "invested" in CVS at this point that any change
at all is viewed with dread, there are so many things we'd need to
update.  The CVS-web stuff, cvsup, CTM, our checkin scripts and
mailing list hooks, it's a lot of stuff.  There's also the question of
access control, something of an open question last time we evaluated
P4, and we'd need some sort of rcvs equivalent using ssh for the
developers before they could use it with the same ease.  To be fair,
this is probably all implemented now and I simply need to go back and
re-read the Perforce docs to find out how to use it.

					Jordan