Date:      Tue, 07 May 2013 11:08:25 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jean-S=E9bastien_P=E9dron?= <jean-sebastien.pedron@dumbbell.fr>
To:        Sergey Jamy <jamy023@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of ATI video acceleration support?

------enig2JQMKISJIBRJAAITWFGNM

On 07.05.2013 10:34, Sergey Jamy wrote:
>>> With the help of Konstantin Belousov, J.R. Oldroyd and several tester=
s,
>>> I'm working on the port of the kernel-side driver from Linux to FreeB=
SD.
>=20
> Why are you clonning linux? Why we can't leave most code in user space?=
 For
> what me kernel panic from the error in yours "kms"? What license of cod=
> which you porting from linux? Whether there can be conflicts of license=
s?

The drivers are released under the MIT license, therefore, there's no
conflict.

> Maybe we can make daemon which will in-between layer from driver to xor=
g,
> but he will be work in USER SPACE?  I think there is no need to hurry u=
p so,
> we now have a working graphical environment, if there is a wish to 3d
> acceleration - so go to the linux or windows.

Yes, there's a need to hurry up: for instance, the Radeon X.Org driver
dropped support for non-KMS mode in last August. It means newer cards
are barely supported, more likely not supported at all. And we don't
talk about 3D acceleration only here: this includes modern features such
as GPGPU (which targets high-end needs too, not only desktops) but also
simply detecting the correct resolution of the plugged-in monitor.
Without this, users would be stuck with the VESA driver.

--=20
Jean-S=E9bastien P=E9dron