Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 1997 11:39:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Peter Olsson <pol@leissner.se>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Are these 3Com ethernet cards supported in 2.2?

On Tue, 11 Feb 1997, Peter Olsson wrote:

> I'm going to build a freebsd 2.2-server with two network-cards.
>
> I have the following cards to choose from:
> 3Com Etherlink III 3c509B-TPO EISA
> 3Com Etherlink XL 3c900-TPO PnP PCI

Both of these are supported, but I would recommend against the XL.  It has
very little onboard buffer space, which causes errors galore on my P133
workstation.  The Digital-based cards (listed in the Handbook) are very
nice, cheap, and don't have this problem.

If you still want the XL it's supported on 2.2 and later.

> If possible, how would I make this configuration available in the kernel?
> There are ed0 and ed1 in GENERIC, but I don't see anything similar for 3Com,
> just xx0. If someone has a configuration for two of the cards above, I
> would be very happy to see the relevant configurationlines.

It's the vx0 driver,  so just 'device vx0' is sufficient.