Date:      Sat, 18 Sep 2004 00:30:59 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Cantarella <cantarella@senffnet.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Editing and compiling FreeBSD source

In <7ea4ce2e54aa7d07618278640e7be260@200.140.233.95>, Cantarella <canta=
rella@senffnet.com.br> typed:
>=20
>    This is my first e-mail for this list.
>    I am interested in studing to better understand FreeBSD=B4s source=
 code.
>    With 'make buildkernel' and 'make installkernel' is it possible to=

>    compile the changes that I have made?
>    The changes are simple (just some printf). I am just beginning thi=
>    trip through FreeBSD=B4s source code.

That will work, but it's the painfull way to do it. The old way is
easier to do development with:

1) cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
2) config YOURCONFIG
3) cd ../../compile/YOURCONFIG
4) make depend
5) make install

You only have to go back to step 1 if you touch the config file. You
only have to go back to step 4 if you add #include statements to a
source file. Most of the time, you simply redo the "make install", and
it only recompiles what you've changed and relinks the
kernel. buildkernel and installkernel will recompile everything every
time.

This won't remake kernel modules - but you can do "make's" in
/usr/src/sys/modules/* to deal with those.

=09<mike
--=20
Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>=09=09http://www.mired.org/consulting.html
Independent Network/Unix/Perforce consultant, email for more informatio=
n.