Date:      Wed, 14 Dec 2005 19:34:04 -0500
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Odd performance problems after upgrade from 4.11 to 6.0-Stable

--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 04:26:18PM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> I am attaching a dmesg. I do have a few of drivers (uhci, pcm, psm,
> atkbd0 and ichsmb) that are still marked as GIANT-LOCKED, but I'm not
> using the USB very often. And I'm not using pcm or ichsmb during the
> dump, either. I think everyone has the mouse and keyboard under GIANT,
> but I can't really see those as a problem, either.

A bunch of things are sharing interrupts with USB..disable it and see
if that helps.  Also check vmstat -i to see if some device is
storming.  If not, turn on MUTEX_PROFILING(9) in your kernel and run
the dump (or something faster that also exhibits the problem), then
look for what is contending with Giant.

Kris

--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk

--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk--