Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 2002 19:00:18 -0400
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
To:        "C.J." <clayton@frii.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /bin/sh changed?

--mvpLiMfbWzRoNl4x

I have seen a similar error in the mysql startup script:

/usr/local/bin/safe_mysqld --skip-networking --user=3Dmysql > /dev/null & &=
& echo -n ' mysqld'

yielding:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh: 6: Syntax error: "&&" unexpected

This appeared shortly after upgrade from -release to -stable.

Note that the mysql script is quite odd, in itself. It comes back to:

sh -c 'true & && echo foo'

which is quite foolish anyways.

I'll try to investigate.

A.

On Tue Aug 06, 2002 at 04:29:18PM -0600, C.J. wrote:
> cvsup @11:45MDT - RELENG_4
>=20
> Noticed quite by accident:
>=20
> root@host (/root) # /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb
> /usr/libexec/locate.mklocatedb: 87: Syntax error: "||" unexpected
>=20
> From /usr/libexec/locate.mklocatedb line 87:
>=20
> perl -ne '/^\s*[0-9]+\s(..)$/ && print $1 || exit 1' > $bigrams
> 	|| exit 1
>=20
> It looks as if, by my extremely limited knowledge of /bin/sh, if you wrap
> the || statement down to the next line the shell can no longer understand
> since conjoining these two lines solves the problem.  I can see where this
> is going to be a huge pain in the butt on the rest of my boxes.  Was this
> change intentional?
>=20
>=20
> - C.J.
>=20
>=20

--=20
=46rom the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of
Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!

--mvpLiMfbWzRoNl4x

--mvpLiMfbWzRoNl4x--