Date:      Thu, 4 May 2000 16:11:51 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Ronald Klop <ronald@klop.yi.org>
To:        Nils Holland <nils@nightcastleproductions.org>
Cc:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: size of root (was Re: Debugging Kernel....)

On Thu, 4 May 2000, Nils Holland wrote:

> On Wed, 3 May 2000, Mike Tancsa wrote:
>
> > Perhaps its time to up the default suggested size of / ?  In this day and
> > age of 13G IDE drives, having 150MB for root would be a more safe value no
> > ? On the machines I configure I generally give myself this much at least.
>
> Having read this, I wonder how I can change the size of / without having
> to re-install the whole system. Currently I'm using the default size
> FreeBSD has choosen for /, but what do I do if the default size should
> some day turn out to be too small, I think a re-installation is required
> then, isn't it? I also think that the FreeBSD installation program should
> should rather create a bigger than a too small / by default. Many users,
> especially those installing FreeBSD for the first time, cannot forsee the
> size they could need in the future and so they decide to let FreeBSD set
> the size of the slices since they think that's the safest bet. These users
> will get pretty mad when they note that after some time they get serious
> problems with the size of their root partition.

As far as I know you can't change the size of filesystems in freebsd. (Of
course it's possible, but I don't know the tool to do it.) But you can
place /tmp on a different filesystem (mount it, not a symlink, because you
will not have a tmp when booting single user otherwise.) Because this is
the only directory in the root partition which is written on, it's the
only one which may give problems.

Greetings,

Ronald.

PS: another way to do this is dump a backup, reinstall a minimum FreeBSD
with different sizes and restore the backup.

-- Ronald Klop http://node11a94.a2000.nl/~ronald/