Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 07:27:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Groener <root@groenquist.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   "profiling timer expired" on new kernel builds in 4.1-R and 4.1-S

I have recently begun to receive "profiling timer expired" errors at boot
time (specifically at /etc/rc initialization) on any new kernel I
build. This includes stock GENERIC kernel builds. I have synced up the OS
with very recent (within 24 hours) builworld's and installworld's apparently
without problems. However, the only way to boot is with /kernel.GENERIC,
since all of my kernel compiles report the above profiling errors. I
searched the archives for errors of this type but did not find anything
relevant.

To the best of my knowledge, this behavior began in mid-August, and I have
wrestled with it ever since (close to 10 reinstalls to try different ideas).

My questions:

Could this be hardware related? No changes recently but still who knows?...

If I build a new GENERIC kernel after a fresh install of 4.1-R, the kernel
works. Only after syncing up /usr/src with cvsup to -stable do I incur the
wrath of profiling errors. Should I not sync up anymore?

Thanks in advance,

-matt