Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 12:56:22 -0400
From:      Rick Knebel <rknebel@uplink.net>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network Card

On Mon, Sep 20, 1999 at 06:47:15PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
>=20
>=20
> On Mon, 20 Sep 1999 18:52:30 +0300, "Ertan Kucukoglu" wrote:
>=20
> > At first I am a newbie. I have an idea. I am not sure it will work but =
try
> > it anyway.
>=20
> If you're not sure, be careful about giving advice. In this particular
> case, you're giving rather bad advice. :-)
>=20
> > I have an idea. In /etc there shuold be a second rc.conf file (I do
> > not remember exactly but it may be /etc/default/rc.conf)
> > That is the main rc.conf  file in FreeBSD. In that file try to move
> > the line
>=20
> It's not "the main" config file, it's the file that contains _default_
> configs. Anything in /etc/rc.conf will override whatever happens to be
> in /etc/defaults/rc.conf .
>=20
> The reason it's not good to tell people to edit /etc/defaults/rc.conf is
> that it makes it a pain in the arse to update the system later.
>=20
> Rick hasn't given us enough information to tell us what the problem is.
>=20
> Rick, you didn't actually say what the problem _is_. What are you trying
> to do, and where does it go wrong? What commands are you typing, and
> what error messages do you see?
>=20
> Your rc.conf makes it look like you want your box to act as a PPP
> gateway for your local area network. If so, you also need to show us how
> you've set up PPP.
PPP.conf

Here are my ppp config files
I am using pmdemand
efault:
 set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
 set device /dev/cuaa2
 set speed 115200
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT \
           OK-AT-OK AT&F1 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"

# Client side PPP
#
#  Although the PPP protocol is a peer to peer protocol, we normally
#  consider the side that initiates the connection as the client and
#  the side that receives the connection as the server.  Authentication
#  is required by the server either using a unix-style login proceedure
#  or by demanding PAP or CHAP authentication from the client.
#

# An on demand example where we have dynamic IP addresses and wish to
# use a unix-style login script:
#
#  If the peer assigns us an arbitrary IP (most ISPs do this) and we
#  can't predict what their IP will be either, take a wild guess at
#  some IPs that you can't currently route to.  Ppp can change this
#  when the link comes up.
#
#  The /0 bit in "set ifaddr" says that we insist on 0 bits of the
#  specified IP actually being correct, therefore, the other side can assign
#  any IP number.
#
#  The forth arg to "set ifaddr" makes us send "0.0.0.0" as our requested
#  IP number, forcing the peer to make the decision.  This is necessary
#  when negotiating with some (broken) ppp implementations.
#
#  This entry also works with static IP numbers or when not in -auto mode.
#  The `add'' line adds a =13ticky' default route that will be updated if
#  and when any of the IP numbers are changed in IPCP negotiations.
#  The "set ifaddr" is required in -auto mode.
#
#  Finally, the `enable dns'' line tells ppp to ask the peer for the
#  nameserver addresses that should be used.  This isn't always supported
#  by the other side, but if it is, ppp will update /etc/resolv.conf with
#  the correct nameserver values at connection time.
#
#  The login script shown says that you're expecting `ogin:''.  If you
#  don't receive that, send a `\n'' and expect `ogin:'' again.  When
#  it's received, send `ppp'', expect `word:'' then send `ppp''.
#  You *MUST* customise this login script according to your local
#  requirements.
#
pmdemand:
 set phone 3899234
 set login "ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 ogin:--ogin: rknebel word: rkill"
 set timeout 120
 set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
 add default HISADDR
 enable dns

PPP.Linkup

MYADDR:
 !bg /usr/X11R6/bin/auplay /etc/ppp/linkup.au

# If we've got 192.244.176.32 as our address, then regard peer as a gateway
# to 192.244.176.0 network.  This may also be done in ppp.conf instead.
#
192.244.176.32:
 add 192.244.176.0 0 HISADDR

#You may want to execute a script after connecting.  This script can do
# nice things such as kick off "sendmail -q", "popclient my.isp" and
# "slurp -d news".  It can be passed MYADDR, HISADDR and INTERFACE
# as arguments too - useful for informing a DNS of your assigned IP.
#
# You may also want some sound effects....
#
pmdemand:
 #!bg /etc/ppp/ppp.etherup.pmdemand
 ! sh -c "cat /etc/ppp/linkup.au >/dev/audio"

# If your minimum call charge is 5 minutes, you may as well stay on
# the line for that amount of time.  If we want a 60 second subsequent
# timeout, set your timeout to 300 in ppp.conf and then do this:
#=20
min5minutes:
 !bg sh -c "sleep 240; pppctl -p mypassword 3000 set timeout 60"

I am tring to use the freebsd machine as a gateway on a local network in my
house for two other machines.

As can be seen though on my ifconf -a statement I cannot get fxp0 to come
up.

Thanks
Rick

=20