Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 16:42:15 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh), arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/pci pci.c pcisupport.c pcivar.h

> > Most of this is present in FreeBSD right now, except for load all
> > drivers at boot and unload the ones that don't probe.
>
> *cough*. Let me correct myself.
>
> Strictly speaking, Solaris doesn't do quite do this. It only loads drivers for
> which it it finds a binding to a hardware name. I argued strenously for the
> 'load all' case because if you start with everything loaded, you can sort out,
> in memory, the bus interconnects, w/o having to do any fancy special case
> dependencies or any 'side' configs for booting. But I lost that argument back
> in 1990.
>
> > We're moving away from hard wired configuration, so it becomes more and
> > more possible to have all drivers just load and unload as needed.

There is the corner case of legacy (non-self-identifying) hardware;
for this hardware, you have to load the probe code and activate it.

This is not the case for SBUS or PCI hardware, which can be data
driven using a table.  I think that the active probe case still
needs to be dealt with.

Windows 95/98/2000/NT handle this by paging in the probe code,
running it, and if it probes true, paging in the driver and doing
the attach.  The probe code is then discarded.

Each severable section is in a seperate ELF section, on a 4k page
boundary (logical, not physical, in the ELF file).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.