Date:      Sun, 3 Feb 2013 18:02:15 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        freebsd@dreamchaser.org
Cc:        mexas@bristol.ac.uk, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: which X driver for NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M?

On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 09:38:07 -0700, Gary Aitken wrote:
> On 02/03/13 08:53, Gary Aitken wrote:
> > On 02/03/13 03:33, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> >> I'm considering buying this Thinkpad T61p laptop:
> >> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321063105251
> >>
> >> It lists this graphics card:
> >>
> >> NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M
> >>
> >> I'm not sure what driver, if any, will support it.
> >>
> >> There seems to be the official Nvidia FreeBSD driver
> >> provided for it:
> >>
> >> http://www.nvidia.com/object/freebsd_100.14.09.html
> >>
> >> but this apparently has to be installed outside of
> >> the ports tree.
> >>
> >> xf86-video-nv drivers list several other Quadro cards,
> >> but not specifically 570M.
> >>
> >> Maybe somebody has used this card, so can give a
> >> definite reply?
> >
> > I can't specifically address that issue, but according to this page:
> >   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/compiz-fusion/nvidia-setup.html
> > recent nvidia cards should be supported by the
> >   x11/nvidia-driver port
>
> Ugh, I just tried to build that and it is marked as IGNORE

Is the reason still "requires fairly recent FreeBSD-STABLE, or
FreeBSD-CURRENT"? See /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver/Makefile for
details. I've been successfully installing 270.41.19 in 8-STABLE
some time ago.

> > The nvidia legacy driver page does not list that card, so it may be
> > supported with the current x11/nvidia-driver port
> >   http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html
> >
> > I have a GT-610 and it is also not listed.
> > I am in the process of upgrading to 9.1 as well,
> > but am fighting a bad SSD and have to reconfigure.
>
> The most recent nvidia port I can find is
>   NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86_64-304.64.tar.gz
> It builds fine, but on installing it craps out with the following message:
>   /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers  No such file or directory

Very strange.

> On 9.0, where I am using the 304.60 version, X11R6 is a pointer to /usr/local.

That's the default for some time now. Even FreeBSD v8 already
has that symlink, maybe it has already been part of v7 (not sure).

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  10 2011-08-21 22:32:05 /usr/X11R6@ -> /usr/local

> But my install of 9.1 has an actual /usr/X11R6, and that means things are
> scattered all over, some in /usr/local/lib/xorg and some in /usr/X11R6.

Where did you get the real X11R6/ directory entry from? Is this
some legacy of "continuous updating" the system beginning at a
version that actually had X11R6/ as a directory?

> This may be a glitch on my end; not sure yet.

I think it is. The port expects something that actually is in
/usr/local, which would have been the same as in /usr/X11R6,
but in your case, it's not.

> I had to restart my ports
> build because I screwed up and didn't do a fetch before building x11/xorg,
> and that may have created some bad directories.

In worst case, maybe you can remove your ports and recreate the
reqired directory structures using the mtree templates
BSD.local.dist (and maybe BSD.x11.dist or BSD.x11-4.dist),
or maybe the xorg port will install the symlink automatically?
If you're not sure, create the symlink yourself and continue
as if nothing had happened. :-)

> Can anyone verify if /usr/X11R6 under 9.1 is supposed to be a symlink to
> /usr/local?

I stronly assume it is (no v9 OS at hand to check).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany