Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 1995 16:36:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Hittinger <bugs@ns1.win.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI disk wedge (fwd)

> > Can you be more specific about which controller and/or drives you are
> > seing this with?  Trying to recall the mail for the last month with
> > ``disk channel hangs'' as the keyword doesn't work for me, my poor old
> > mind is not what it use to be :-)
> Aha1742 and AHA 27xx -- both EISA.
> On the 27xx driver we get an error, on the 1742 the failure is silent.
> Other than that, the behavior is identical.

I'm running two p60 32mb eisa with AHA27xx.   I have some HP drives and
some seagate barracudas.  Going to ditch the HP soon.  I beat up on them
pretty heavily and do not see a problem.

My motherboards are those weirdo broken DMA boards so even though I have
32mb I have to use bounce buffers.  Just for grins you might try a kernel
with bounce buffers and see if you get the hangs.

Another dumb idea is that something else is causing the problem and the
symptom is a scsi timeout.  I've made this mistake and chased a wild
goose.

I don't wanna open the box and find out what my adaptec firmware rev
level is but......

The only other i/o in the boxes are the EISA style 3c509.

I am running the -current build from June 30'th.

Regards,

Mark Hittinger
bugs@win.net