Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 16:15:11 +0100 (BST)
From:      Scot Elliott <scot@poptart.org>
To:        Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@noc.dfn.de>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: option NFS -- why would I want it?

The kernel loads the NFS module the first time you use an NFS mount etc.
Try the modstat command and it should show up.  You might prefer to do
this if you don't use NFS very often I suppose.  I think compiling it into
the kernel is probably prefered for security reasons... is someone manages
to change an LKM you're in trouble.  But changing the kernel needs a whole
reboot, which you'd notice (I hope).

Scot.

On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Jens Schweikhardt wrote:

> Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 16:57:10 +0200 (MET DST)
> From: Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@noc.dfn.de>
> To: stable@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: option NFS -- why would I want it?
>

> hello, world\n
>
> just out of curiosity: when I compile a kernel with option NFS the
> size increases by 250k (on an i486, 2.2.5R):
>
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   886718 Apr 16 14:25 kernel
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1125987 Apr 16 13:14 kernel+NFS
>
> However, even without option NFS in the kernel, I can use all
> NFS stuff, like mounting nfs file systems, use the automounter
> and so on. The machine works both as nfs server and client.
>
> I do think that 'option NFS' is there for a reason. The only reason
> I can think of right now is that I need nfs in the kernel if the
> machine is diskless. Is there another catch?
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Jens Schweikhardt  http://www.shuttle.de/schweikh/
> SIGSIG -- signature too long (core dumped)

Scot Elliott (scot@poptart.org)			|    Work: +44 (0)171 7046777
PGP fingerprint: FCAE9ED3A234FEB59F8C7F9DDD112D |    Home: +44 (0)181 8961019