Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 15:46:07 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: making a RELEASE

In list.freebsd-stable Plamen Petkov <plamendp@plamen.bgstore.com> wrote:
 > From all of this 'make a RELEASE' threath I realize the following:
 >
 > 1. I cvsup-ed all the sources

If you intend to "make release", then that's not enough.
You need the full CVS repository, not just a checked-out
source tree.

On the other hand, you could hack the release Makefile to
just copy /usr/src instead of checking it out from the
repository (obviously, this only works if yout /usr/src is
exactly the same version as the release that you're going
to make, but this is usually the case).  I've done that
before.  It also speeds up the "make release" quite a bit.

 > 3. However I can not have it on a CD, just to have it on a safe place ?
 >
 > Just imagine: some big crash and I have to start again from my last
 > FreeBSD Release (currently 4.0-R on a CDROM I purchased from
 > www.cdrom.com) step by step toward 'current' -STABLE ...

It is just one step.
Install from your 4.0-R CD (soon to be 4.1-R, I guess),
then CVSup -stable, make world, done.

Apart from that:  You do have a backup, don't you?
So in case of a serious crash, you can just restore from
your backup.  That's what backups are good for.  ;-)

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany
Addresses will change soon!!  If in doubt:  www.fromme.com

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)