Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 22:32:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Southwell <vizion@ptialaska.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Attachments request

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Southwell wrote:

> GlacierI wonder whether those who post to this list would consider to
> post without using attachments. It is a hassle to have to put stuff
> through a virus checker when reading a mail list - so unless there are
> very good reasons for not doing so I delete such mail list posting
> rather than read them. I would recomend that everyone thinks very
> carefully before opening attachments on mail lists - even one such as
> this - it is easy for people to masquerade as others..

Attachments are often useful for distributing files (patches, program
logs) with email. They're also not "unsafe" [1] for FreeBSD users to use.
I understand that for whatever reason some people can't use FreeBSD to
read their email, but this _is_ a FreeBSD list and I don't think we should
worry too much about catering to other platforms. Specifically, if you
want to scan all of your email attachments then you should use a virus
scanner which can do it automatically instead of asking the world to
change their ways.

Kris

[1] There have been various security holes in MUAs involving buggy
MIME-parsing code, but these are rare and easily fixed.

----