Date:      Sat, 8 Sep 2001 23:24:02 +0000
From:      Michael Burns <michael@fasturl.net>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   RAID 5 controller replacement (DPT/Adaptec SmartRAID IV)

Has anybody attempted to replace a SmartRAID IV controller that was
managing a RAID 5 array without destroying the array in the process?
From what I understand, this card uses NVRAM to store its configuration,
so in the event of a controller failure, the only way to recover the
array would be to either recover the original configuration from NVRAM
or to configure the replacement controller with the same configuration.

Unfortunately, I don't recall seeing a utility to save the original
configuration to a disk, and I'm not sure the DPT Storage Manager
utility allows one to set configuration parameters without initializing
(i.e. destroying) the array, or if two identically configured controllers
with RAID 5 are interchangeable.

Any reports of successes or failures are welcome.

--
Michael Burns
Systems Administrator