Date:      Sun, 1 Sep 2002 21:32:12 -0700
From:      "Corey Snow" <corey@snowpoint.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Remove NIC, problems (solved)

On 1 Sep 2002, at 16:26, Corey Snow wrote:

> Hi all- I'm running FreeBSD-4.6.2-RELEASE, and have a problem. This
> system had 3 NICs in it- xl0, ed0, dc0. I removed the one using xl0-
> that's a 3Com 3C905-TX. The NIC was never used, as I had planned on
> it being used for a project that never got off the ground. Now I have
> another use for it and wanted to get it out of there.
>
> When I restart after removing the NIC, everything seems to go OK,
> except that the console hangs on the line:
>
> Local package initilization: apache mysqld

Well, I'm not sure yet what the exact problem was, but I narrowed it
down to gdm. For some reason, gdm was being started twice. I set it
up to start in /etc/ttys and got rid of the shell script in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d and all seems to be well for now.

Odd that it only showed up when I removed the card, though.

Regards,

Corey